Since the 1800's and before, the Mission Strategy of most churches was to send missionaries throughout the world to establish churches and do the work of the ministry.
This will always be a viable and important mission strategy.
The world we live in has greatly changed and with these changes come awesome opportunities for sharing the gospel.
There are three important strategies that aMission Committee should consider while formulating an effective Mission Strategy in this new world. Reconciliation Resource Ministries uniquely has combined these three strategies into a single program that can be supported through designated funds to RRM.
WE CALL ESPECIALLY ON THE PROSPEROUS CHURCHES OF THE UNITED STATES TO PRAYERFULLY CONSIDER:
(Even those churches who think they are struggling financially are prosperous compared to most churches in the world!)
1. SUPPORT OF NATIONAL / NATIVE MISSIONARIES.
* National / Native Missionaries are better equipped for effective ministry. They better understand the culture, customs, and needs of the missionfield. They already have a network of friends and contacts established. They have a hunger and thirsting to know God and to serve them. The old prideful paradigm that native nationals are not educated enough for effective ministry MUST BE THROWN OUT!!!
* it is much more cost effective to support native missionaries. Funds are limited. Consider that for the same amount of funds it would take to send and support ONE new American missionary in a foriegn land, 5, 10,15, OR MAYBE UP TO 75 FULL TIME MISSIONARIES CAN BE SUPPORTED. There are many mission fields where a full time missionary can be supported for only $60 a month! It depends on the region, but in much of the world, a full time national missionary can be supported for less than $700 a month.
Let me use myself as an example, RRM is only able to provide me with a disaster (7,500 deductible) Health Insurance plan for me and my family - yet this still costs $550 a month. For the same amount of money to pay for my health insurance coverage, 7 full time native missionaries could be supported at $75 a month! Let me repeat that - FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY TO PAY FOR MY HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN, 7 MISSIONARIES COULD BE SUPPORTED TO SHARE THE GOSPEL IN SOME OF THE POOREST AND MOST OPEN MISSIONFIELDS IN THE WORLD.
Another example, I have a friend who ministers in a country where the cost of living is very high. It costs well over $100,000.00 a year for her to teach missionary children and to be a blessing to those she comes across. The same amount of money to support one American missionary to teach missionary kids, over 80 full time native missionaries could be supported at $100 a month, or 16 full time missionaries at $500 a month.
* Please don't mistake what I am saying, "American Missionaries" are of vital importance, and need to continue to be supported! I also believe missionaries should be paid well. When someone is willing to leave the comforts of home and endure the dangers and hassels of the missionfield, the last thing in the world they need to face is financial pressure. When they retire after a life of sacrificial service they should be able to retire in comfort. Workmen are worthy ... a double portion ... What I am saying is that in this world there is a huge disparity on the cost of living. Because of this disparity, full time native missionaries can be supported for a small monthly amount, and that most churches should consider adding RRM's mission strategy to their mission budget.
2. Internet Ministry
see http://internetminister.org and it's links for information.
3. Collaborative Efforts
For too long there has been a lack of communication and cooperation between good Bible believing ministries. Denominational beliefs are important yet we must embrace and support the entire body of Christ.
Reese's paraphrase of I Cor. 12:21
The eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need for you, you are not in my denomination!"
And the head cannot sat to the feet, "I don't need you, you are not part of my specific mission organization!"
We need each other. We are teammates not competitors! more info coming soon...
* I WILL FINISH THIS PAGE SOON!
LIVING GRACE CHURCH - WE ARE EXCITED TO HAVE YOUR INVOLVEMENT!!!
FOR MORE INFORMATION...
This will provide you with the basic idea of our program.
Your missionary :
Mark and Lucy Tenywa
They serve in Kampala, Uganda.
I will provide you with information on them this week. They are a wonderful, dedicated Christian couple making a difference in Africa.
We also have a Chicago contact/friend of them that can visit your church sometime: Leonard MP Kayiwa
We will also have pictures soon. You will be able to keep in contact with them through email and phone. (Wallmart has international calling cards for $25.)
I should have this webpage updated by the middle of the week. I will give more specific details...